Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Ok, thats it. on Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Mercenary Lord

When on earth am I going to get to do something to help?

Here are my skills. (Up to five stars.)

Animating: ** (Done it once.)
How do I show an example for this one?

Battle Spriting: *** (Just very slow sometimes.)
Example:

Mug Making: ** (Can Splice...never tried full custom.)
Example:

Map Making: **
Example:

Other Art: Never really tried halfbodies/fulls/sketches. I do like drawing though.
Writing Fiction: **** (I've had a lot of practicing.)
Example would be really long.

Writing Mechanincs:**
Same.

Programming(RGSS):** (But am learning)
Same. I did some recoloring programming, and tried to put a custom animation in for mercenary kamaitachi.

Programming(C++) :* (Will learn after Ruby)
Haven't even started.

Anything I can do to help PS along?

NOTE: I am working on my skills, so hopefully these ratings will improve.

Also, I'll try to put an example up as soon as I can access my, computer, because I'm using my 3DS web Browser right now.

Last edited by Mercenary Lord on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:51 am; edited 3 times in total

http://www.klokreations.net

2 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Charlotte

Chick
My oh my those are some nice ratings.

Say, give an example of each in this thread XD

You could probably be the go-to general knave or something. But I can't decide for Clock or anything.

3 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Yoshi

Admin
Mercenary Lord wrote:
Writing Mechanincs:***

Lawl.

4 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:43 am

Klokinator

Admin
Yoshi wrote:
Mercenary Lord wrote:
Writing Mechanincs:***

Lawl.
This.

It's a nice ego boost to give yourself average to high ratings, but don't kid yourself.

Writing Fiction: ***** (I've had a lot of practicing.)
Strongllllllly disagree. I've read a lot of your stuff, and no it's not as good as you think. Writing a lot of words that come together in an understandable manner does not make you a great writer. This, coming from me. I don't put much effort into my story writing most of the time, because I haven't witten anything serious, but I could easily be an amazing writer if I put my mind to it.

http://forums.bwdyeti.com/index.php?showtopic=210&st=0

The problem with your writing in this topic is that it's kinda boring, it's about YUHTITS's game, and it uses a loooooot of descriptive words that really tend to drag things out. On top of that, it's really short, and there are no paragraphs so I feel like it's a huge wall of text.

I'll do you a favor and point out as many errors as I can find in it.

"Uther! Lord Uther, sir!" The boy stumbled down the hallway, tripping over his long robes and oversized boots. He barely had enough control to stop himself from ramming into the enormus double doors.
"Hello? Open up! I have to talk to Uther! Open the Door!" The boy pounded on the wood, thumping his oversized hands over and over against the wood. "Open Up!"
"What do you want, lad?" The door opened, and an enormus man peered out from behind it.
The boy pulled himself together into a salute. "Sir! Harken, Royal Knight trainee, reporting. I have to talk to Uther! It's an emrgency!"
"Yeah? And what is so important that you have to trouble Uther with it?" The man smiled, and Harken could see his rotting teeth. He shuddered inwardly.
"Jack, let me in! Bandits are attacking the castle town!"
"Aye, and I'm the lord of Ostia."
"Actually, Jack, I'm the lord of Ostia. Let the boy in. You've caused enough trouble already, eating all the food in the kitchen." Harken sagged in relief, thanking his lucky star that Uther had resolved this.
Jack stood aside, grumbling, "Of course he gets in, of course he does..."
Harken laughed silently. That stupid idiot. He should know better than to have eaten more food than permitted.
Upon entering the room, a heavily armored young man rose from his seat to give Harken a quick handshake.
"Oswin!" Harken exclaimed taking the proffered hand and shaking it vigorously. "How have you been? I haven't seen you since you graduated from the trainee school? What's it like being a knight? What's it like, protecting the Marquess? Do you..."
"Later, Harken." Oswin laughed. "Don't you have something to tell Uther?"
"Oh." Harken's face fell. "Oh yes!" His countenance regained it's vigor as he turned to Uther, a fierce light dancing around his eyes. "Some damned bandits are attacking the castle town! They've burned up old Melvin's farm, and they're on their way to the main city! You have to help!"

Red text is mispellings or improper apostraphes.
Blue text is improper capitalization.
Yellow is an awkward sentence. In this instance, Uther is not identified as speaking until the sentence is finished, and even then it's not explicitly stated. You have Harken and "Jack" speaking back and forth, and when it is Harkens turn to speak, Uther speaks but I assumed it was Harken.

These little things take their toll. Admittedly I am a grammar nazi and a perfectionist, plus I don't enjoy reading fanfic (in the slightest), but boosting yourself on a pedestal and claiming 5 stars doesn't help me out much. I'd give you three stars, personally, if this is out of five.

And if you're learning ruby, which I wasn't sure if you were actually doing or not, what are you good/decent with? That could be helpful. Just keep in mind that I write the story for the game, and you're free to contribute if you like, but in the end I hold final decision. So if none of it flows with what I'm planning to use, it could all be trashed, and I don't like wasting my time or yours.

/superbluntguy

http://klokreations.forumotion.com

5 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:58 am

Mercenary Lord

Im not talking about what I've put on the computer. Im talking about what I have written down on paper.

And my ratings have been modified.

I gave myself a four in writing. This is because I haven't yet come up with the time to type some of the stories I have, Into the computer.

And Klauk is right, that discontinued story of mine sucked.

6 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:16 am

Klokinator

Admin
lol dat one word is still spelled rong. *Looks at Yoshi's post for reference*

Also, if that's your example of your mapping, make it one star. Actually let's all do ratings and crap and see what we can come up with.

My ratings are as follows:
Map making: 4 stars. I take too long but it usually comes out very nice. I suck at indoor maps, and mountains though, so that's why it's not 5 stars. If I master those, I will achieve five stars. (Also increasing my speed would help)
Mug making: 1 star, not counting that one awe inspiring FC that had Trent begging for more.
Writing, plot: 3 stars. My ideas are original, the flow is good, but the execution is poor.
Writing, dialogue: 2 stars. I have good days, but usually it's bad. Seriousness is not my strong suit.
Writing, gramer: 5 stars. i never mispel or make misteaks.
Gameplay balancing: 5 stars. My strongest attribute is making it hard, but not unbeatable and still possible to win without losing all of your units.
RGSS: 2 stars. I can read most RGSS very handily, I just don't know how to write it, usually.
Spriting, battle sprites: 0 stars. lol
Spriting, other: 0 stars. lolol

7 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:47 am

Zakerot

My ratings are as follows:
Map making: 0
Mug making: 0 got bored of it.
Writing, plot: 0 I never finished writing my plots when I was into rpg making.
Writing, dialogue: 0 Dunno LOL
Writing, gramer: like 3 or 4?
Gameplay balancing: 0
RGSS: 0 I don't give a fuck anymore.
Spriting: 0 Not into rpg/game making anymore so screw spriting.

Yeah I'm wasting my time on something else.

8 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:03 am

Charlotte

Chick
Heck, I'm a narcissist.

Here are my skills. (Up to five stars.)

Animating: * OH GOSH NO I HATE MAKING ANIMATIONS. Here's one of my oldies, though.
Spoiler:

Battle Spriting: ** Meh. For stills I guess I'm okay.
http://gyazo.com/2451f4cc767bffe625ea97bb5f8a2fbd

Mug Making: *** I can splice some, but I've gotten worse. Example with hardly any custom-
http://gyazo.com/299f5d17ce89c98cc98efbc8441f39cd
I can kinda custom with enough time... I've done, like, this or whatever
http://gyazo.com/0eaf53718028a02e513bc22127953d86
But it took forever and I had some help. I specialize in trim and can't do hair or clothes for my life. Note that the near pauldron on the example was done in like 3 minutes.

Map Making: ** I can map when I need to, but I suck at mountains and paths. Kinda suck at water. I guess I map pretty fast unless I'm doing one of those.
http://gyazo.com/d64cac316e070f188959c806a3a0cb57
Shown is my first-ever map. Whee.

Other Art: * I am artistically retarded. Like, literally. Trust me, you don't want to see my sketches. Here's one of my Photoshop doodles, though. http://gyazo.com/c65d5a6cd68948da473b91b20995dbab

Other Spriting: **Just to say that I sprite better than I draw by far, though I have my own lame style.

Writing Fiction: * Can I give myself 0 stars? Well, that's a little harsh on myself, I guess. I just don't like the idea of writing a bunch of stuff because then I need to go and READ it <_<
Example would be really long.
This.

Writing Mechanincs:*** I have decent grammar, I guess.

Programming(RGSS): * Oh goodness gracious. I'll edit scripts 'n stuff but I'm not making my own any year soon.

Programming(C++) : Never tried. I've almost gotten "Hello World!" to work in Python though.

Programming(GML) ** I'd give myself 3 to distance this from RGSS, but that's a tad high considering what GML can do. I can probably make it do a little more than half of what YUHTIHS can get out of RMXP.

Gameplay Balancing: *** I'm not too terribly bad at this, and I'm adding it just because Klauk did. I tend not to make super overpowered mechanics readily available.

Video Game Skill: * I seriously suck at video games. If I didn't have natural Starcraft abilities simply due to ethnicity I'd give myself a negative. To this day I have yet to beat Ephraim's route on FE8. And I've never completed a single level on a Mario game, +c.

Music Composition: ** MIDI remixes earn me both of those stars, but my customs are... Blech... I could make some nice-sounding metal riffs if I was faster, though. Starting piano lessons tomorrow, too!

Hrm, for some reason Gyazo doesn't like image tags.

Well, there we go. This is why I call myself the "Jill of No Trades"

Oh, hey, we should totally use this thread to judge other peoples' ratings for the sake of self-improvement.

Merc, that battle sprite's shadow is wonky, and his hat is weird.
The mug's neck lacks shading, there's a random pixel in his hair, and the shirt is constricting his armpit in an odd way.
Map is super tilespammy, and the top-right forests look hard to utilize with enemy positions. Unless that's the start location.

Klauk, remember, seriousness is not necessarily goodness. I hope. Otherwise my latest essay about the fall of man is doomed.
Could I see your FC? =3

Zak: aww, c'mon, you can talk, so that's gotta be a 1 in dialogue or something.

9 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:17 am

Hirei

Chick
lol I won't bother since pretty much everything would be a 1 or a 0 XD

10 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:49 am

Klokinator

Admin
Klauk, remember, seriousness is not necessarily goodness. I hope. Otherwise my latest essay about the fall of man is doomed.
Could I see your FC? =3
Well, psshh, you know... I don't want to be arrogant or anything, but it was pretty breathtaking. I mean, it was like, wtf awesomely good.

Seriously though, I can't because photobucket is fucked up or something. Anyone know anything about that? Was it shut down or something?

11 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:18 am

Mercenary Lord

Nope, I can still get on.

12 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Hirei

Chick
Hirei's Ratings:

ART/VIDEO
Animating (Spritewise): N/A
2D Animation: * (Learning how to do it so I can make an OP for a game)
3D Modeling: * (Learning....)
3D Animation: * (Learning....)
Video Editing: ** (I can't do the fancy stuff)
Battle Spriting: N/A
Mug Making: N/A
Map Making: N/A
Other Art: ** (Cause there's tons of other folks better than me, QQ)
Other Spriting: * (Frankenspriting)

WRITING
Writing Fiction: ** (Though I usually have a team including a writer so usually I don't have to worry about story)
Writing Mechanics: *** (Decent, have taken AP classes)

PROGRAMMING
RGSS: * (I do a little script editing)
C++: N/A
GML: N/A
HTML/PHP: ** (Done website design and PHP database management for sites)

OTHER
Video Game Skill: **** (I play a lot of online MMORPGs and FPS)
Music Composition: N/A (But I bet if I tried I could probably be decent)

FOR FUN :V
Bullshitting/Procrastination/Laziness: *****

13 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Jesse

FOR FUN :V
Bullshitting/Procrastination/Laziness: *****
lol

14 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Yoshi

Admin
Your art stats need to be higher.

15 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Charlotte

Chick
That or we all need to drop ours by 3.

16 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:06 am

Guppizard

HONESTLY I WOULD NOT OFFICIALLY RAPE MYSELF

17 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Yoshi

Admin
WARNED FOR NECROPOSTING AND DUMB SPAM.

18 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Mercenary Lord

Where the fucking heck did this come from?

GTF OFF MAH THREAD, NEWB.

19 Re: OFFICIAL "RATE YOURSELF" TOPIC! on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Lately there has been a most disturbing increase in the number of shitposts in old topics. Therefore, locking this topic. it was a shitty topic anyway

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum