Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question about the Community

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Question about the Community on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:19 pm

cidkred

So my project is getting to the point where I can start putting information out on it, but something that has been bothering me for a while is that occasionally I'd see someone bring up the fact that they payed someone to make portraits/animations/etc. At first I'd thought it was special cases, but I want to make sure before I post anything. Is it the norm to pay for portraits/animations/etc, or are these special cases and the majority of them volunteered stuff?

(I know this has nothing to do with FEXP or FEXNA, and it is probably a dumb question but better to ask now than have someone help me later on and be surprised about having to pay them afterwards, right?)

2 Re: Question about the Community on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Many people will make portraits and etc for free, but ONLY if you show screenshots of a well developed project. Wouldn't you hate making mugs for someone because they said they were working hard on a project, then they leave the community and drop their game meaning you wasted your time? That's how most people feel and they want to avoid that.

So, if your project has a lot of progress, post said progress along with screens/a video/a patch/whatever and then ask for help with art. You'll get a much more positive reception that way.

The reason many offer their services for cash though is because even if the person they made the art for bails and vanishes, they still get some money out of it so all their effort had a net positive result.

Incidentally, once you've been here as long as me, you can get help much more easily, because people know I actually stick around for projects and eventually complete them.

3 Re: Question about the Community on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:23 pm

RikuTheHedgehog

Some people wants to be payed for makin animations, portraits, sprite sheets and that kind of stuff, some are not. And what's the problem with that? It's their services, if you're going to crit them, do it in a spam topic or something. If they think they need to be payed or something, is because they receive many requests and doing it just for a "thank you, I'll credit you" feels empty sometimes. Or at least that's what I think. And hey, the people who do this kind of stuff actually do a nice work.

Last thing I can say, respect the people's services when something like this come out.

Regards.

4 Re: Question about the Community on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:46 pm

cidkred

To Klok: Thank you for answering. That put me at ease about things down the road.

To Riku: I meant no criticism or disrespect to those who do charge for their services. And there is not anything wrong with them doing so. I personally have a paranoia that if I pay money for my fangame, it will go from a fun hobby into a joyless obligation. I apologize if I come off as a selfish or disrespectful jerk.

5 Re: Question about the Community on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:54 pm

Klokinator

Admin
I've paid money a few times, but usually only for quality productions that were worth it. As an example.

http://puu.sh/bhTWy/ed0f90c8bd.png

Lenh on these forums made this for my game, at the cost of $55. Tbh I think I got too good a deal, given the quality.

6 Re: Question about the Community on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:00 pm

cidkred

That is a beautiful map. I'll consider looking into paying for stuff near the end of my project.

7 Re: Question about the Community on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:53 am

Tactician Cinema

Hey I can tty and help you out bro! My services are free and I make pretty good sprites and etc. Just give me a heads up when ya need me! Although I am currently working on my own project as well and seeking help on that so I might not be able to always get to ur stuff right away but yeah I'll still help out!

http://dsgf.forumotion.com/

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum