Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Storyline + Plot Push

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Storyline + Plot Push on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Magix430

What do you generally look for concerning storylines? I have my own preferences (having watched a great variety of anime by wasting my life and getting low grades) but I kinda wanna know you guys's perspectives on the issue..

Also, Pinky said stuff about getting stuck (maybe lazy, maybe just ill preparation) but to what extent does plot push become a necessary variable? In other words, what's the point in a story when you start to get bored and you gotta see something happen?

2 Re: Storyline + Plot Push on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Klokinator

Admin
You have to see something happen in the very beginning that's big, something that gives people something to latch on to and sets the bigger story. The exception is stories that start out with small creepy things happening and slowly build up to a big ending.

3 Re: Storyline + Plot Push on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Magix430

Personally, as long as there are noticeable, "heroic" (so to speak) changes in the character, or some progression in romance, ill be satisfied.

take Mirai Nikki for example. Guy gets cellphone reality future stuff, finds out people are after him, strikes up alliance with girl. In that anime the plot push was good bcause of all the action and occasional yandere tension moments, and then the mystery behind who Yuuno was.

But in other anime, they might hold the same elements but not necessarily hold the same spark. any reflections?

4 Re: Storyline + Plot Push on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 pm

Klokinator

Admin
A good example of that is Higurashi. While having a fairly okay opening section of the anime, the sudden shift in time/story in episode 5(?) completely ruined it for me. There needed to be a more subtle shift because instantly I was like "ugh it's one of THOSE bullshit things".

5 Re: Storyline + Plot Push on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:55 pm

Lenh

At least for me, there always has to be one grand carrot (some mystery, withheld information, looming crisis, or character goal) in order to stick with a story from start to finish. It doesn't have to be revealed in full at the start of the story, but there had better be hints of a greater design going on (and pursuit towards it).

From a literature (and RPG) standpoint, anything that doesn't advance the plot or add development in a story can probably be done without. Repeating factoids/events/formulas doesn't help either, although they're all right when done at the right times.

http://lenh.deviantart.com

6 Re: Storyline + Plot Push on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Magix430

Code Geass really hit it off for me in terms of an ideal tension/dramatic irony epitome.

Also, do you guys have any reflections on any anime with themes? Would you rather watch an anime and learn something about life or just watch it for enjoyment?

Mindfuck or Enjoyment?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum