Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Been thinking about switching from hacking FE7 to using FEXP

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markyjoe1990

Right, so... After playing FE13, it occurred to me that my current knowledge of Fire Emblem hacking just isn't sufficient enough to make my fire emblem hack (Fire Mumblem) anything truly fresh and interesting. Good level design and ASM just isn't going to satisfy me anymore.

Because of this, I'm thinking about switching over to FEXP. However, last time I tried it, I... had a few problems.

Firstly, my biggest concern is saving. Does the latest version allow me to save and carry my unit stats/inventory/etc over to other chapters?
Another problem I have is with the speed of the engine and it's framerate. I'd like a perfect 60 FPS, and some kind of way to speed up everything in the game because... christ, FE is slow as hell. Maybe holding the L button will turn animations off while it's held down? Or maybe just some speed up key.

Learning the Ruby language should be cake since I have knowledge of other coding languages, and have even created a program with Python.

I also remember it being annoyingly difficult to "event" for FEXP, changing stats/growths, etc. It was really unintuitive and stuff. Maybe I just didn't take enough time to learn it, or maybe I'm just more used to my old ways of FE hacking. Either way, I found it really annoying.

... So yeah. Those are my main concerns. I'm sure if there's other issues I come across, I can give more suggestions or implement them myself.

Klokinator

Admin
Firstly, my biggest concern is saving. Does the latest version allow me to save and carry my unit stats/inventory/etc over to other chapters?
That's always been possible, but the issue is that the proper way to do so has never been properly documented. I'll be making it much more clear how to do this in Super FEXP.

Another problem I have is with the speed of the engine and it's framerate. I'd like a perfect 60 FPS, and some kind of way to speed up everything in the game because... christ, FE is slow as hell. Maybe holding the L button will turn animations off while it's held down? Or maybe just some speed up key.
Have you played PK's Xiao Emblem? It's extremely fast because she disabled some things yeti added in that slowed the framerate down a bit. If you're looking for a "hyperspeed toggle" button, good luck because it will never be doable. Maybe if yeti's super generous, he'll let you get a licensed copy of FExNA, but I doubt that.

Honestly, FEXP's speed is okay. With some toggles, like disabling auto-get-moverange, you can speed it up to 60-ish FPS for most play.

Learning the Ruby language should be cake since I have knowledge of other coding languages, and have even created a program with Python.
If you actually learn ruby, you can be a vast help to adding the missing content needed to Super FEXP. Lemme know if you ever get anywhere with this.

I also remember it being annoyingly difficult to "event" for FEXP, changing stats/growths, etc. It was really unintuitive and stuff. Maybe I just didn't take enough time to learn it, or maybe I'm just more used to my old ways of FE hacking. Either way, I found it really annoying.
If you get on the IRC, I can explain exactly what needs to be edited and where. Honestly, now that I'm used to it, FEXP is far superior here. Don't forget, I used to romhack all the time and for me, FEXP was a very simple transition.

For the time being, Super FEXP is a few months off. Boomansion and I are working on two joint ventures, one of which is Super FEXP... the other you'll hear about in due time. Once both ventures are complete, FEXP will be 10x easier to use and much more intuitive, and hopefully mostly complete to boot.

Klokinator

Admin
Our IRC: http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/
Pick a username, and the channel is #Klokreations

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum