Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Soo sprite formatting

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Soo sprite formatting on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Fivey Dater

Ya. Was messing around for days with this looking all over but can't seem to get it right exactly.

What exactly was I supposed to do with the sprite sheet for one, and two how was I supposed to download it? I got in adobe reader and I had to screenshot and save it, and i'm not sure that entirely accurate or not.

Since i'm bad with words and so you'll have an idea of what I tried, heres a screenshot. I did this using fotoflexer.com which seemed to work decently but I'm still not sure what i'm doing. Like, that had the portrait a little... off. And i'm assuming the talking one would be off too. The mini portrait I think had white spacing that didn't really look normal.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2chajd1.jpg

2 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Klokinator

Admin
That's not even CLOSE to how you format a sprite. Not even close.

I'd say that first you need to see how this guy is formatted, then see how yours is, then come back with more questions. I don't even know what you were trying to do lol.

3 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Fivey Dater

But I mean what in the world did you even do or use to do that? Because i'm pretty much stumped.

4 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:52 pm

GypsyGrifter

MSPaint works pretty well.

Just paste the faces in the right spots.

5 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Klokinator

Admin
The top part can be as big as you want, for the most part, within reason. The mouth and eye frames have to fit within the 32x32 box below the face, though they can be seperate.

Gimme the mug you're working on and I'll whip up an example.

6 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:09 am

..Oh I think see what you're doing. Pretty sure you have the oldest version of FEXP I can think of. May wanna download the latest update from This URL. Otherwise even if you do fix your formatting, FEXP won't read it.

7 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Fivey Dater

http://i10.servimg.com/u/f10/18/09/26/48/harken10.png (I know it's messy, but I suck at this. ._. That took me hours to make)

Ok. So what did I do wrong now. I changed the game script to make Harken say what the old man says at the beginning to test it. When I used the plain Harken portrait after this, the game wouldn't load, and I got this error: Script 'face Sprite data' line 8 syntaxerror occured.

8 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Fivey Dater

Oh. Ya. And I tried that sprite sheet out, didn't fix it.

9 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:07 pm

...Did you not see what I said? xD
You have to update your FEXP, you're using a reaaaally old version.
You can import your maps and such but some stuff will need reformatting. Don't worry about it if you haven't gotten far anyway.

10 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Fivey Dater

I've HAD the latest the whole time. 1.0.1. The one you linked. So thats not the issue.

11 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:21 pm

...Strange... I can't figure out why you'd have that problem then o_O

12 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:42 am

Would you mind copy-pasting the first 30 or so lines of your Face Sprite script?
You may have just formatted the emotion list incorrectly or something, especially if you got a syntax error.

I'm assuming you're definitely aware that the face image has to have a filename identical to the name of the character? And it has to be in the faces folder? And it has to be added to the emotion list?

13 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Fivey Dater

EMOTION_LIST = {
'Man1Villager' => 1,
'Man4Villager' => 1,
'Man6Villager' => 1,
'Woman2Villager' => 2,
'Woman4Villager' => 2,
'Harken' => 2
'Armory' => 1,
'Vendor' => 1,
'Secret' => 1,
'Arena' => 1,
}

# 'name' => [[eyes offset], [mouth offset], [status offset], status frame],
FACE_OFFSETS = {
'Test' => [[28, 27], [28, 43], [ 7, 1], 0],

'Man1Villager' => [[30, 25], [30, 41], [10, 0], 0],
'Man4Villager' => [[26, 20], [26, 36], [10, 0], 0],
'Man6Villager' => [[22, 28], [22, 44], [10, 0], 0],
'Woman2Villager' => [[29, 21], [29, 37], [10, 0], 0],
'Woman4Villager' => [[27, 21], [27, 37], [10, 0], 0],
'Harken' => [[23, 17], [18, 33], [10, 0], 0],
'Armory' => [[38, 5], [38, 21], [ 0, 0], 0],
'Vendor' => [[39, 9], [39, 25], [ 0, 0], 0],
'Secret' => [[37, 12], [37, 28], [ 0, 0], 0],
'Arena' => [[38, 0], [38, 16], [ 0, 0], 0],
}

FACE_OFFSETS_DEFAULT = [[24, 24], [24, 40], [0, 0], 0]

CLASS_RENAME_LIST = {
'Swordmaster' => 'Myrmidon',
'Halberdier' => 'Soldier',
'Hero' => 'Mercenary',
}

I and ya, I know the filename has to be named the same thing, and it has to be in the faces folder.

I assumed I may of gotten the co-ordinance wrong. But I looked over that guide like 3 times and just assumed I had it right anyway, so. I would of known what to do from there.

And ya, obviously Harken is the one i'm trying to get to work

14 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:43 pm

The Harken sprite is actually showing up, right?
It just looks odd?

Also, you've formatted it incorrectly again.
You're using one emotion slot for blinking, and one emotion slot for speaking.
Both speaking and blinking frames should go in the same emotion slot.

Give me some more info on what exactly the error - how the mug is displaying currently, for example, and then I'll see about formatting it for you.

15 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:46 pm

Fivey Dater

Well, how exactly to format it I was mostly doing guess work and observing everything I could and trying to put it together the best I could.

Well, it WAS showing the sprite, but now FEXP won't even load with that syntax error, so. But ya, it was showing up. I could switch the talking text back to the old man and see, but ya. But thanks.

16 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Ah, sorry, didn't notice but you made a really easy mistake.
Line 8 of the script. See the part with harken's emotions? There's no comma. Just add a comma to the end of it like the other entries in that list and you'll be fine.

17 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Also, if you can't figure it out, send me the exact image, I'll format it and explain what's wrong.

18 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Fivey Dater

Well, I put a comma there, not sure how I missed that, and booted up FEXP, still get the same error.

19 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Klokinator wrote:Also, if you can't figure it out, send me the exact image, I'll format it and explain what's wrong.

You ever get the feeling you're being.ignored?

20 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Fivey Dater

Theres what I used, Klok.

http://i10.servimg.com/u/f10/18/09/26/48/hgrhue10.png

http://www.feplanet.net/sprites-archive-character-sheets/h/117

"You ever get the feeling you're being.ignored?"

Sry, was getting to that. I'm doing multiple things at once with a massive headache and I didn't realize the site said you sent me something before I sent that, lol.

Anyway, about the comma thing, was a big derp on my part. I forgot to press save again. But ya, FEXP is working without that error now. However, the old man is talking instead of Harken.

Heres the text just in case:

# Face
\f[6|Harken]

# Man
\s[6]\x[85]
This is a quick test map\n
so you have some degree of\n
reference to work from.|
# Offscreen left
\s[0]
Move forward a bit, we need\n
to show more text commands.|
# Move Man
\m[6|5]
# Offscreen left
\nBit more.|
# Man
\s[5]\x[85]
Hmph.|
# Move Man
\s[-2]\m[5|4]
# Man
\s[4]\x[85]
Anyway, you should also check the\n
/Data/Text/ folder to see how\n
text is generally handled.

21 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:09 pm

That's odd. The only logical reason the old man would be speaking is if you've accidentally named the old man sprite Harken, which I doubt.

Try changing 'this is a quick test map' to 'this is bla bla bla' and then checking if it actually changes. If it doesn't, you may have duplicated the event and the one you're editing isn't the one that's being played.

22 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Wait - Sherlock moment.

You say you forgot to save it when you added the comma, but that's impossible. You can't playtest FEXP without being prompted to save it first.

You might be editing one FEXP project, but playtesting a completely different one.

23 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Well, you didn't give me the sheet that you'd formatted to FEXP, so I'll do this later with a GBA FE harken rip.

Actually. http://puu.sh/1XwRe

Yeti already compiled all the GBA FE mugs into FEXP format. I can link the whole folder if you like.

Edit: Here's the whole thing. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28014061/GBA%20FE%20Face%20Sprites.rar

24 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Fivey Dater

"You say you forgot to save it when you added the comma, but that's impossible. You can't playtest FEXP without being prompted to save it first."

o_0 Idk, i'm editing it with Rpg maker XP, and I only APPLIED the changes. It wasn't till I saved them to the project that it worked. And I didn't get any prompt. And I only have one FEXP project... there right now, so. But anyway, I edited the text, and oddly the old man still says the same thing. Only test map 1, also test map 1, and ctrl whatever the scripts.

@Klok that would help me a whole lot likely, thanks.

25 Re: Soo sprite formatting on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Delete the event you're editing then playtest again, see if it still goes through the dialogue.

If it does, you're definitely editing the wrong thing. Search the map for another identical event, or make sure you're editing the right map, or make DOUBLE sure you haven't somehow got another FEXP project open that you aren't aware of.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum