Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Music for games

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Music for games on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:36 pm

RomeAX

I was going to ask this in the spam thread but I figured it wasn't going to get much attention there.

Where do you peeps find music for your games? (that is allowed to be used of course.) I'm about to start giving life to the first two areas of my game but I lack good music and I want to avoid using the RTP music as much as possible. I have Morrowind's and Oblivion's soundtrack but I don't want to use those unless I have no other choice.

2 Re: Music for games on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:41 pm

Fuzz94

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34039

he's part of Project 76. Lots of good stuff in there.

3 Re: Music for games on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:46 pm

RomeAX

Ace can't play MIDIs. Sad

4 Re: Music for games on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Fuzz94

well shit

lol i got nothing

5 Re: Music for games on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Here's what you do, now listen carefully:

1. Determine type of game you are making and desired soundtrack. In general, most rpg's use classical themed music, but yours might be wanting a more hipster upbeat techno soundtrack. That's up to you.
2. Go to Newgrounds, or Soundcloud, or one of the other music sharing sites. Make an account there. Surf around in the related categories (NG especially is intuitive) until you find [a] song[s] you like.
3. Message the song creators. Tell them you're making a game and you'd like permission to use their song.
4. If they respond and say no, move on. If they reply and say yes, or they haven't been active in years and don't respond, assume it's okay. Leaving a message stating you want to use their song gives them the option to refuse, and unless they stated somewhere that their songs are non-reusable, everything on NG is under a creative commons license.

With step 4 though, if your game were to be professionally released for monetary gain, then in that case "no answer" is the same as "no". Since I doubt that's the case, assume "no answer" means "okay, for now".

http://klokreations.forumotion.com

6 Re: Music for games on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Magix430

Or say hi to me a lot

7 Re: Music for games on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:15 pm

RomeAX

@Klok: That's a good idea, I'll give it try. I haven't visited Newgrounds in ages, it has been so long that I completely forgot about it.

@Magix: Hi :3

8 Re: Music for games on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Magix430

Just throw a request in one of my music threads just for the organization if you truly want one. The more specific, the better Very Happy

9 Re: Music for games on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 pm

RomeAX

Okay! I'll make a request in your thread soon. I think I have something in mind.

10 Re: Music for games on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 pm

Jesse

or you could take midis an plug them into a midi-mp3 converter. There are a good number of them out there.

11 Re: Music for games on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:20 am

Charlotte

Chick

12 Re: Music for games on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:43 pm

RomeAX

FFFFF Yeah one of the artists I pm'd gave me permission to use a battle song from NG. He even offered a remastered looping version.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/502868

Some other songs the artists stated that you could use their music as long as you gave credit. I planned on crediting everyone and linking to their profiles anyways.

@Charlotte: Wow that's a huge list with some awesome midis. It has an old school feel, I might do what Jesse recommended if I manage to finish this project.

@Magix: hi :3

Btw, do you have a download link to 'Darkness Awakening'?

13 Re: Music for games on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Klokinator

Admin
If you download a youtube ripper (I use Easy Youtube Downloader extension for firefox) you can download youtube videos easily, then get a mp4/flv to mp3/ogg converter and you're golden.

14 Re: Music for games on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:15 pm

RomeAX

I think I have a similar (if not the same) app on FireFox. But the author of the song graces us with his presence every day so I would prefer a download link to the original song.

15 Re: Music for games on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Downloading from youtube in high quality MP4 then converting to the preferred format is the same thing as getting his original wav file and converting it to your preferred format. Also, I was speaking of youtube vids in general.

16 Re: Music for games on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Magix430

Well Klok, you seem to have forgotten that I upgrade older songs.

Although DB Awakening, the Drums sound a bit off; I still like the sound banks of the new strings - allowing me to morph three different banks in one Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum