Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kholdy's Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Kholdy's Questions on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:32 am

KholdStare88

Hey guys. This seems to be a quite active forum and I decided I want to take a shot at creating a game, so I'll ask some questions. I've pretty much tried to explore every variable (except for going too detailed into the coding itself), so I have a basic grasp of how FEXP works. But I'm still stuck on some things. After every question I pose, I will attempt to try to guess at how to solve, but I want to ask first so I don't do something horribly wrong and unfixable.

1) How do I create a new weapon type?

What I know is this. Under [Script > CONFIGURATION > Items], we have:

Code:

FIRST_WEAPON_TYPE_ID = 3 # Element ID of the first class type
  WEAPON_TYPES = 10 # Number of weapon types (should all follow the first one)
  PHYSICAL_TYPES = 4 # The number of physical weapon types
  MAGICAL_TYPES = 6 # The number of magical weapon types

In [Database > System > Element Names], I assume these 10 types are, from ID 003-012:

Code:
Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Fire, Thunder, Wind, Light, Elder (Dark?), Staff

Now, Let's say I change WEAPON_TTYPES to 11 and MAGICAL_TYPES to 7 (effectively making ID 013 a magical weapon), and give it a name in Element Names, let's say Astra. Do I have to do anything else to make the script recognize Astra as a weapon type? Can I add to WEAPON_TRIANGLE:

Code:
11 => [[8, 9], []],

...to make Astra strong against Light and Dark? If so, do I need to add something somewhere else to give "attributes" to this new weapon?

2) What exactly are "special" weapon types?

What I mean is this, under [Script > CONFIGURATION > Items], there are:

Code:
  ANIMA_TYPES = [5, 6, 7] # Weapon types that are kinds of Anima
  DARK_TYPE = 9 # The element type for dark magic
  STAFF_TYPE = 10 # The element type for staves

Now Fire, Thunder, and Wind are already taken care of in WEAPON_TRIANGLE, and I see no other reference of Anima anywhere else in the script nor do I see the need to. Why is it important to group these 3 into Anima, and should I take this into consideration when I create new weapon types?

Furthermore, why are dark and staff types separate variables? Are they referenced somewhere in the script?

3) Creating new range types.

Under [Script > CONFIGURATION > Items], we have:

Code:
  DEFAULT_RANGE = [1, '1']
  RANGE_TYPES = { # Element ids => range type, string
      6 =>  [2, '2'],    # 2 Range (Bow)
      17 => [3, '1-2'],  # Thrown
      1 =>  [4, '1-2'],  # Magic
      2 =>  [5, '1-2'],  # Magic Weapon
      20 => [6, '3-10'],  # Long Range
      21 => [7, 'Mag/2']  # Mag/2 Range
  }

Now, referencing the new Astra element I created above, when I create a weapon I would check Astra [013] and Hits Res [001] under Element. What if I want to create a new range , let's say 2-5? I would imagine typing into RANGE_TYPES:

Code:
22 => [8, '2-5'], # Mid Range

However, I don't know what to do with the "8" which is supposed to be "range type". How do I actually code the 2-5 range? I don't believe just creating a new range type will do any good. It can't be as simple as that.

4) Creating new class groups.

From the guide, I guess it is indeed common sense that if I check "Infantry" under Element when creating a weapon, then that weapon would be strong against infantry units, like bows are strong against flyers. After further planning, I decided to make new "class groups" such as a weapon that is strong against mages and healers. Upon further inspection, I have no clue where the class groups are coded or even mentioned. Under [Database > System > Element Names], Infantry has an ID of 029, but I cannot find reference to 029 anywhere, even under Items in CONFIGURATION. My goal is to add a new "Element" that I can check to make a weapon strong against that group of classes.

5) And before I get ahead of myself...

Is it possible to create linking chapters that will turn into a game with FEXP as it is? I know it's incomplete and there's a save patch now, but I'm wondering if it really is possible. I'm still in the planning stages so I haven't actually done the chapter creation yet. I don't want all of my planning to be for naught though.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

2 Re: Kholdy's Questions on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Klokinator

Admin
I will look into all of these, and the questions pertaining to weapon types are actually one of the things I (I think successfully?) explored and managed to do myself. However, just a quick notation; If you CTRL+Shift+F when in the script editor, you can search the whole editor for terms that may bring up hits. I can't promise I'll get back to you soon on this (The RMVX Ace cancelling out RMXP bug is in my way currently) but I'll definitely try and figure all of these out.

Also, welcome to the forums, we like new people. 'Specially the smart ones Very Happy

Sidenote: What kind of game are you trying to make? I'm always interested in what people come up with.

Is it possible to create linking chapters that will turn into a game with FEXP as it is? I know it's incomplete and there's a save patch now, but I'm wondering if it really is possible. I'm still in the planning stages so I haven't actually done the chapter creation yet. I don't want all of my planning to be for naught though.
This is possible, but forcing a save after the end of a chapter is the hard part. You'd have to prompt the player to save ingame or find some way to script it to happen yourself, and there's always the part where it's reaaaaally buggy. As for linking to a new chapter, just use a transfer in the chapter win event. I'm pretty sure I put how to do that in my tutorial.

I really need to add more to that tutorial now that interest is building in fexp again Surprised

Edit: Right, range types. Nobody on this forum or Yeti's forum knows how or has ever said how to add more of those. I know that by using Yeti's old "Longbow" skill you can artificially add more range to a weapon/tome/staff, but that's buggy and switching from a long range to a short range weapon breaks the game. I asked Yeti about this over a year ago and he remained silent, so odds are that unless you find some way to crack open the .dll file (Moverange.dll) or rescript your own ranges, you won't find an answer to this here.

http://klokreations.forumotion.com

3 Re: Kholdy's Questions on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:38 pm

KholdStare88

Hello, thanks for your quick reply and the welcome. That means this forum is still active, yay!

I'm not so sure about smart, I just try to look everywhere I can before asking for help. That's how I am, which can be a good or bad thing. I'll tell you a bit about my background though. I have coded text multiplayer games before, including MUDs, and have a good understanding of game theory and character balancing, etc... But before we get too excited, I know almost nothing about Ruby and was actually hoping to use the FEXP template to create a game without learning a new language. I, like many of us, am really really busy and this is a very time consuming hobby. pirat

Since my last post, I've looked over some more of the script and made some adjustments.

1) I no longer need a new weapon type. I will, however, replace old ones. What I'm thinking is:

Code:
ID001: Light Weapons (Sword + Lance) replaces [Sword]
ID002: Heavy Weapons (Axe + Mace) replaces [Axe]
ID004: Ranged Physical (Bow + Gun) replaces [Bow]
ID003: Water Magic (including Ice) replaces [Lance]

This way, I achieve what I try to create without creating a new weapon type. The problem becomes I would need to create more room for the weapon sprite graphics, as well as extending the menu boxes in the stat screen. I've managed to achieve this (when I searched for a way to increase max items to Cool but I want to keep it simple and not have to do extensive graphical work.

3) I think I can make do with 1-2 or 3-10. The problem is that I believe 3-10 will target Res only, and I wanted to make guns (which would have 3-10 range) be physical, hitting Def instead. I have tried to open the ranges dll but I couldn't. I could try to script it in if there's a way to. Can someone point me to the right place where I would add in scripts relating to weapon ranges?

Thanks by the way for Ctrl + Shift + F. That is indefinitely useful.

I also figured out that if you want to do something, you may have to change a lot of things. For example, creating a class means you have to add in that class ID to all the usual obvious stuff, but also default Con, hit sounds, max level, class reel, and such. I tried to give a Myrmidon some default weapon EXP for Fire, and it won't work unless I have to raise the Fire weapon cap for Myrmidon too, or better yet create a new class Myrmidon_*. Speaking of which, I did something with Myrmidon and the game won't work unless I delete Myrmidon from the class reel. Klok, when you have time, can you tell us what class reel does?

Here's some stuff about the game I'm making. I've played other FE rom hacks. While some are very nice, I can't help but feel like it's just an extension pack to the game. So I'm going to create a game starting with the Fire Emblem engine, but will go off on a tangent so that it will become "noticeably different" from FE. As an example, I'm doing away with weapon triangles and will code in a type advantages chart. You know from above I'm adding new elements and changing weapons around. Another thing would be adding more weapons each type, so you're not just stick to using iron, steel, etc... the entire game. The feel will still be FE because I'm using the FE terrain, sprites, and animation after all. But I hope it will feel fresh enough to get an audience outside of hardcore FE fans.

4 Re: Kholdy's Questions on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Klokinator

Admin
There's definitely a 3-10 for both magical and physical, as ballistas and bombard magic exist in FEXP. Since I can't use RMXP, I can't tell you exactly where and that's... kind of a pain >.>

Class reel is completely unnecessary by the way. When you start your game, if you wait a certain number of seconds on the title screen it will run the Class Reel, which plays a list of classes and their stats, exactly like in the GBA games. To disable it from running, there's a line somewhere in the Title script with a seconds counter that you can delete and it'll never run. Also I know exactly how it works so if you want to add classes in to the reel, I can detail that for you too.

Uhhhh let's see... exp balancing is not my forte', but Char did a lot of work with that stuff. I mostly stay away from math stuff because I'm horrible at algebra/trig and stuff like that.

Also, on a side note, you can make an skill that increases range for a specific weapon/weapon type, assign it to a certain class (Like a Gunner class) and that will increase the range of a weapon by X amount without glitching the game. I don't remember the exact script for increasing range but if you wanna decrypt yeti's old pre-FEXP releases he has it I could maybe try and find my notes on this and get back to you.

5 Re: Kholdy's Questions on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am

KholdStare88

I just realized after I posted that the 3-10 is used for both physical and magical. Here's the code.

Code:
    def magic?
      num = FE_Config::PHYSICAL_TYPES
      magic_attack = ((self.weapon_type[0] > num) or (
          self.weapon_type[1] > num))
    end

def always_magic?
          self.weapon_type[1] > num and self.hits_res?))
    end

def ranged_magic?
          self.weapon_type[1] > num and self.hits_res_range?))
    end

So basically, I have to set my PHYSICAL_TYPES number to correctly include the gun class. Then, I can check 3-10 box to make it 3-10. The Hits_Res box is only for special weapons I believe, such as a sword that attacks Res instead of Def. I found this using Ctrl + Shift + F, so kudos to you.

Ah, you're right that you can make a skill that increases range. That is very smart. I would love to see your notes on it because I'm sort of lost on this scripting language lol. I am most interested about how to customize a skill for specific weapons.

6 Re: Kholdy's Questions on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:16 am

Klokinator

Admin
Hnnngggghhhhh finding my notes means plugging in a 2TB monster of a HDD, sorting through roughly 500 main folders for the relevant subfolder which contains the few tiny text documents I need, and that's assuming I didn't accidentally delete it. Which is wholly possible that I did because I Are Klutz.

I'll get back to you on that... eventually. Maybe after the 17th, when I'm reclining in my own easy-chair at my own place.

7 Re: Kholdy's Questions on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 am

KholdStare88

Okay, no problems. One last thing though is that I know you're working on Super FEXP at the moment. Should I wait and start my alternations using that (when it gets released) or should I be fine working on the current FEXP?

8 Re: Kholdy's Questions on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:56 am

Klokinator

Admin
I'm not working on Super FEXP at all, actually. Haven't touched FEXP for... around 3 months? After the last update of my tutorial, I got too busy to keep working, then I sold my laptop and bought a new gaming laptop and since then, I've shamelessly been playing games with complete and utter disregard for FEXP. Yep, I'm a terrible person.

As I've said though, I'll probably get back into it once I've played enough games and settled back down into my old hobbies.

9 Re: Kholdy's Questions on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:16 pm

KholdStare88

Ah okay. It's fine, everyone is a terrible person.

What I would actually love though is to see what you've done so far...even if it's not finished. It might help me do whatever I'm trying to do. Even though you probably won't release the incomplete Super FEXP to the public, can't you give what you've done so far to a few dedicated game designers (*coughlikemecough*)? That would be wonderful. <3

Who knows, maybe I could make some additions to speed up the process if I find out more about how stuff works.

10 Re: Kholdy's Questions on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Mercenary Lord

If you ever learn Ruby, and then decide finish the Engine, we might possibly throw you a party. Smile

http://www.klokreations.net

11 Re: Kholdy's Questions on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:39 pm

KholdStare88

Okay I have a question now.

I recall reading somewhere that "states" are not implemented except for poison. So would some staff (like Berserk, Barrier) break? I was thinking of making a staff to imitate the effects of Barrier, but now I'm wondering if the Barrier staff even works in the first place.

If not, I would love to know if there is a section of the script that deals with different effects of staves, because I was also thinking of making a staff that adds Def instead of Res.

12 Re: Kholdy's Questions on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:20 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Everything that I added to Super FEXP was aesthetic. This means things like adjusting the positions of units in the unit preview window, adjusting a few tilesets in some minor mostly unoticable detail, and then there's implementing the save system and adding in all the classes that other people have made. That last one never got really... done.

I don't know much about States, btw. I know that poison works, though I don't recall how and I never looked into adding more stave effects. Anything you do in that region is unknown territory, unless someone else has already done it themselves.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum