Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps.

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:13 pm

felix198

Alright, so I mentioned in the introductions that I'd start my own topic for my artwork so here we go...

My Mugs:

Names: Erland, Cabal, Edgar, Elaine, Garret, Trinna, Vermundr, Sholeh and Artemis.

Here's some sprites I've done:

Lord, Baron, and Baron Map Sprite.

Some Weapons Icons:

Fire, Thunder and Wind Tomes (bottom are defaults)
And The legendary weapons I've done so far.

I'll post my world map in another reply.

2 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 pm

felix198

Here's the Map I was talking about, it's pretty huge... It's also done in the style of FE4 for those who are wondering.
Map:

3 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Mercenary Lord

SPOILER THAT MOFO, DUDE.

Seriosuly, it's breaking the page of my extra wide computer screen.

http://www.klokreations.net

4 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 pm

felix198

Yeah... I'll condense it so I can actually post it... And I had no idea how to spoiler until just now. Sorry...

Last edited by felix198 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

5 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 pm

RomeAX

Those mugs are certainly a different style from the ones I'm used to seeing from people like Yoshi and Mewiyev. I like them.

I can't help but notice that the eye style doesn't seem to fit some of them. I notice this on Cabal who looks like a badass mo'fo but his eyes are a bit cutesy. Also, Elaine doesn't look much like a female. Not sure if it's the eyes or the eyebrows.

I'm not a spriter so I can't give much critique on how to improve them. Yoshi and Mew could help you better with that part.

@ML - You sounded like a dick, why even post if you're not going to contribute to the thread?

6 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 am

felix198

No it's okay dude, I'm pretty new to forums still so I needed to know how to use spoilers anyways.
And if you didn't see the map before it was huge. So Merc Lord's fine.

And yeah, Cabal was one of my first mugs, and I was trying to imitate some eyes as a template.
So I'll probably change him up for sure (I need to fix his shoulder pads too).

And Elaine's eyebrows are too dark...

But thanks! I love the criticism, nobody points out stuff like this at Immortal Sword Razz

7 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:16 am

Mew

Chick
Here is a website that explains anti-aliasing a little bit, though the pictures are blurry and sucky. Same idea at least. It's sorta like surrounding dark colors with progressively lighter colors to form a gradient, instead of placing dark colors starkly next to light ones.

I did a really quick edit to your sprite to try to show what difference it'll make. I'm not the best at trim, buuut, yours on the left, mine on the right. I only changed the top part of the spaulder.

http://www.margosikes.com

8 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Mercenary Lord

Rome, I have next to no skill with mugs, and this guy doesn't seem to be trying to emulate Fire Emblem's style, so anything I might add is worthless. Except for what I already said.

But yeah, AAing can really make a difference. Smile

http://www.klokreations.net

9 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Jesse

Alot of your sprites seem to mimic the pillow-shaded style of FE4. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but it would help to learn to sprite in the GBA style.

The best suggestion I can think of for that is splicing my friend. Once you get a hang of the style pretty well, try FC'ing again, and I'm sure you'd make some awesome sprites. Soe of us can definitely help you along, and I see alot of potential in what you do.

10 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Magix430

i'm sorry i cant help out but AA'ing does look good

11 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 pm

felix198

Okay that makes a lot of sense. A lot of my mugs need some tweaking and editing.
And anti-aliasing seems to make a difference. I just needed faces to put to names in my FEXP game.

And I looked up what pillow shading is too (from the same site that does the anti-aliasing info interestingly)
and I can see how some might not like that.

FE4 is my favorite of the series, so it'd make sense that my sprites would resemble that style.
But I do want to stick to the GBA style, given that it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to
throw in a bunch of FE4ish sprites Razz

And is splicing just meshing together existing sprites into a new one? If so I'm afraid I sort of
have ethical issues with that... I try my best to keep all my work original.

If it isn't however, I'd like to know how it works.

12 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:35 am

Primefusion

Admin
felix198 wrote:And is splicing just meshing together existing sprites into a new one?
Yes.

If you're opposed to splicing you could always simply study the existing sprites to get the hang of their shading conventions. You seem talented enough that this shouldn't really pose a problem.

13 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:39 pm

felix198

Yeah I think I'll go with that. It's pretty much what I've done so far with the mugs I've done.
Mostly with the eyes.

14 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:56 am

felix198

New mug! Tell me what you guys think!

15 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Mew

Chick
Dangus mangus. I'm impressed. This is sweet.

I love the detail on the outfit/character design. Anatomy seems kind of off though, his body makes sense if I pretend he has a neck, but since his head is rather far down, I'm confused about how his body is supposed to be posed. :V Sprite-wise the fur is a bit messy too (check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWGAeoCsqrQ out for a little tutorial on fur) it looks kinda wormy atm.

What else blah. The top half of his face seems to be at a different angle from his mouth/chin, his nose is pointed down but his chin seems at a pretty level angle. Ear seems kinda not human-like also

http://www.margosikes.com

16 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Magix430

Forgot to mention this on chat but after its finished:

The shoulder plate seems a bit too high, even if there was to be padding under it.

17 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 am

felix198

Thanks for the criticism everyone, I'm planning on making edits to most of my mugs after this
next week of midterms (since I'll actually have some time). I'll be sure to take all these points
into consideration for sure.

And I haven't posted anything lately since I've been recoloring all the window-skins for FEXP
to suit my taste. I might post them... But whenever I decide to post game you'll be able to
check that out pretty easily.

18 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:11 am

felix198

Oh yeah, I wanted to repost my world map since I screwed up with not having spoilers last time
and made it really small to compensate. But here's the full size. Sorry if it doesn't fit your
screen, it was a huge project of mine.

Spoiler:

19 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:48 pm

Primefusion

Admin
I like it. The one thing to point out is the Isles in the bottom right. I would add a few more (even if they're tiny things) to make it seem more like a cluster of masses that's referred to by one name.

Right now they seem like just individual places with separate names.

20 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:31 pm

felix198

Right on, I'll add that in for sure. Someone from Immortal sword said the same thing with adding
more little islands and land protrusions. At some point I'll convert it into a tileset so I can add
map scenes before chapters. But that'll be a huge task by itself.

21 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:44 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Actually it should be fairly straightforward.

http://klokreations.forumotion.com

22 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 pm

felix198

Adding each tile one after another in an actual FEXP map will take forever. Making the tileset will not.

23 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:03 pm

Jesse

Putting it together in FEXP should be just as easy as putting the tileset together. You do realize you can select multiple tiles at once, right?

24 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:33 pm

felix198

I did not realize that... And after messing around I understand why. I didn't even think dragging
the cursor in the tile set would select more. Well that's another thing learned I guess. XP

25 Re: Felix's Mugs, Sprites and Maps. on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:16 pm

Jesse

XDDD

I figured that out completely on accident, and I figured it was common knowledge.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum