Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Story Writing Event

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 The Story Writing Event on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:56 pm

Jesse

Here's another Kloklympic contest...This one's for writing.

My rules:
1) Follow the forum rules.
2) No plagiarism. This will result in disqualification. I do not joke here.
3) Follow my listed requirements.
4) No off-topicness.
5) Now whining.
6) Just plain listen to my robotic holiness. lol

I will decide on the top three, then the exact placement of those will be decided in a poll. Should there be a tie, I'll break it.

REQUIREMENTS:

Short(ish) Story
Medieval Fantasy OR Science Fiction
Minimum of 1000 words (four pages in MSO Word w/ 11pt. Calibri double-spaced)
Maximum of 4000 words (sixteen pages in MSO Word w/ above settings)

Due Date:
August 24. Judging will commence on the 25th. This gives you approximately 3.5 weeks.

Posting Requirements:
Option 1: Upload the story through as an attachment.
Option 2: Copy and Paste the story into a Spoiler.

All stories must be submitted via PM. I will post them in the voting poll on the 25th.

With that covered, you may...BEGIN!

Last edited by Jesse on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

2 Re: The Story Writing Event on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:03 pm

Primefusion

Admin
Hmm, 1000 words minimum huh? Let's see what I can come with.

3 Re: The Story Writing Event on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:04 pm

Mercenary Lord

Now, this I can do fairly easily.

http://www.klokreations.net

4 Re: The Story Writing Event on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:07 pm

Yoshi

Admin
*Insert some sort of gloat here.*

5 Re: The Story Writing Event on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:08 pm

Jesse

My maximum can be a bit expanded, but I figured that 4000 should be more than enough. It's actually really loose.

6 Re: The Story Writing Event on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:11 pm

Primefusion

Admin
I'm more worried about the minimum haha.

7 Re: The Story Writing Event on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:13 pm

Yoshi

Admin
Yeah I'm with Prime. I usually write really dinky essays, unless I get really into it.

8 Re: The Story Writing Event on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:15 pm

Jesse

It's really not that hard to write 1000 words. It sounds like alot, but I'm sure you've done more than that in school essays XD.

And plus, this is more fun than a school essay, and it's optional, so it's not like its really painstaking.

9 Re: The Story Writing Event on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:18 pm

Yoshi

Admin
Trufax. Though my knowledge of medieval fantasy is less than stellar.

10 Re: The Story Writing Event on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:22 pm

Jesse

medieval fantasy is fictional. Everyone here has played enough FE to have enough of an arsenal of information to do this, I think.

11 Re: The Story Writing Event on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:28 pm

Jesse

Added Sci fi to the options.

12 Re: The Story Writing Event on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Jesse

12 days left. Hope there are a few people out there who are working on this.

13 Re: The Story Writing Event on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Primefusion

Admin
Like I said before, the 1000 word minimum is kind of turning me off. That's a pretty big time investment and my free time is stretched thin enough as is.

14 Re: The Story Writing Event on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Magix430

I'm actually plenty excited on the Sci-Fi bit of it, but without basic knowledge of what goes on in it, it wouldn't be a good short story to read because the reader would be asking questions like "what the fuck is this."

... not sure what to do

15 Re: The Story Writing Event on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Oh wait I didn't even know this existed.

Hell, might be a good time to try and whip out a small story for MoH. I've been needing motivation.

http://klokreations.forumotion.com

16 Re: The Story Writing Event on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Magix430

So is writing about Enigma plagiarism even though it's a mutual collaboration between Merc and I? I might just write about a small tidbit of one of the characters' lives or perhaps a biography that doubles as a short sci-fi story.... I can easily throw up at least 1000 words from that

17 Re: The Story Writing Event on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:12 pm

Mercenary Lord

go for it

18 Re: The Story Writing Event on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Magix430

I'll try Ben... Cuz medieval kinda flows in it..not really. Probably one of the wars he features in heh

19 Re: The Story Writing Event on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:12 pm

Jesse

@Prime: 1000 words really isn't that hard. I can do that in a matter of a few hours on the shittiest of days, as long as I can stay focused on what I'm doing and I don't 50 bajillion chores to do at the same time.

Also, 1000 words is just about as small as I'm willing to go, because much less than that gives me a very vague image as to what your skill in the field is. Without much tio judge, there's really no point, so I've set the 4ish-page (1000ish-word) minimum. It's not to piss in anyone's Cheerios (as the saying goes). I just want to be able to properly judge what I'm given.

In all honesty, if you come up just a bit short, I won't give you the boot. If you write say...900ish words rather than 1k, you should still be okay to participate. I'd still like to see you give this a shot. You might be surprised at how fast 1k words will fly by. (HINT?: especially if you include dialogue)

@Magix: I'd like to see what you've got. I'm perfectly willing to expand to 5k words (or maybe even a bit more) if necessary. However, understand that with Microsoft Word's default settings (Calibri 11 pt font, double-spaced) that 1k words forms 4 pages. That makes 5k words = 20 pages, approximately. Just don't make it much more than 20 pages.

And since ML gave you permits on Enigma, you may use it. I just didn't want anyone stealing from other contenders, or (heaven forbid) make a fanfic of something like Star Wars (Sci-Fi) or Eragon (Fantasy). And there's also the possibility of something worse like copying word for word out of one of the Harry Potter books. If anyone tries pulling that one, may the Lord strike me down with a thousand lightning bolts (and I say that while it's storming outside XD).

@Klok: hmmmm...I could delay the due date a couple of days (or a week XD). If this is the case for more people, then I definitely will. And an MoH story would be just fine, I think.

20 Re: The Story Writing Event on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Magix430

Actually, Merc and I are co-creators of Enigma... It's not exactly the issue of permits but more that Enigma is within itself entirely and taking information from it would actually technically be plagiarism if I didn't create more than half the stuff in it.

But yeah, alright. I'm just not sure how to elaborate some technical stuff into it. The entire story may take too long, so I'll make a sneak peek (preview) of the middle of the story (the beginning is written in Wattpad "Project Alpha"). The prologue will be a brief description of what has happened thus far and some conceptual odds that have to be evened out for the reader to understand.

Finally, I posted in my Art thread (Magix's Armor and Art Thread [WIP]) all nine swords that he possesses, and the story behind them may take too long. As a result, I will most likely have the stories of those weapons omitted, and only keep the most important one (the Blood Blade renamed now as the "Blood Sacrifice" due to conceptual descriptions) as well as an in-combat (SPOILER) scene...

Haha I'm doing all my thinking here.. Expect it!

21 Re: The Story Writing Event on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:48 pm

Klokinator

Admin
I wrote... something... but it's just so hard to write a decent narrative, I only do decent with FEXP/GBAFE dialogue :X

http://klokreations.forumotion.com

22 Re: The Story Writing Event on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Jesse

I'll admit, switching from one form of writing to another is a difficult obstacle to overcome. I speak from experience. If you pull it off, I'd definitely give you a pat on the back. Try writing something along the lines of that old Jumping Spider story from a while back. That was really well done. If you manage to write like that, you might have a good chance at winning.

I've still recieved nothing in my PM's, so I'm wondering if I gave enough time for this contest. I may end up extending the deadline a week.

23 Re: The Story Writing Event on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Jesse

I haven't been online in a while so I didn't get to give the proper warning. The original deadline was THIS WEEKEND. However, I still have no PM'd stories, so I may end up extending this. GET WRITING!

Thanks.

24 Re: The Story Writing Event on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Mercenary Lord

The mug contest is more everyone's style right now. How about suspending this one until that one finishes, and then retry?

25 Re: The Story Writing Event on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Jesse

Umm...Mine was up first? Herp derp? It takes people mere hours (in some cases, minutes) to splice a mug. It takes a couple of days to make a map. I've given people quite a bit of time and recieved N-O-T-H-I-N-G. I expect at least three stories in my inbox in a week and a half. If I come across as being rude...well, it's been a two way street. Ignoring something or someone is quite rude.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum