Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ultimate FEXP Eventing Tutorial

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Ultimate FEXP Eventing Tutorial on Thu May 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Klokinator

Admin
This is the sister thread of the scripts tutorial. This thread will be dedicated solely to eventing in FEXP, not even Databasing, except when necessary. So let's get started!

Visiting Houses! (Recruitment, items, and gold!):

All right, I've mentioned this a couple times before, but now it's time to get to the nitty gritty of visiting houses and getting rewards. This is, for the most part, simple. Let's start with a simple diagram to understand where everything is placed.

Here we have the village in TR2 that gives you a Killer Axe.

In the Yellow Circle, you can see the word VISIT. ALWAYS NAME YOUR VILLAGE AND HOUSE EVENTS VISIT. Period. In capital letters.

In the red circle there are 3 pages. The first page is before the village is opened. However, Houses and Villages are different, because Houses only need one page, due them being re-visitable. Red Villages however give you an item then close off. For Villages, page one handles whatever bonuses you get, page two handles the closed village, and page three handles the destroyed village. Always make sure that in the light blue circle below the three graphics represent the proper tiles for Open, Closed, and Destroyed villages.

The Dark Blue Circle is where any events in said village occur. This is the meat of the tutorial, so let's focus on it. In the above picture, you get a killer axe. In this picture...

You get gold. And in this picture...

You get a character. (Roeis)

Let's look at how these are set up.

1|Type
0, 66, 20|Value OR IF GOLD - 8000|Value OR IF CHARACTER - 18, 12, 14|Value
-1, -2, 3, 3|Area - I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS IS FOR
\f[2|Man4Villager]\f[5|Visitor]
\s[2] - SET UP TEXT AND CHARACTERS HERE
TEXT GOES HERE

|Type determines whether you're handling Weapons/Items, Gold, or a character. 1 = Weapons and Items 2 = Gold and 3 = Character.
Value has three different meanings.

For determining whether an item or a weapon, set the first number to 0 for weapons, and 1 for items.
The next number tells you what item/weapon it is. In this case 66 = Weapon ID for Killer Axe. You can find this inside the Item/Weapon Database
The last number (I think) means number of uses it will have. In this case you get a Killer Axe with 20 uses.

For Determining Gold, this is simple. 2|Type and use ####|Value and you're good to go!

Characters are really easy.
Code:

3|Type
18, 12, 14|Value
3|Type is simple.
18 = Character ID. 12 and 14 are map coordinates. 12 = Horizontal plane and 14 = Vertical plane.

Next comes |Area. I have no idea what this means. If you find out, let me know.
And then text and everything else gets set up here.

And text and such goes here! I hope that helped Very Happy

How To Place Units on the Map (4 known techniques):

Well, because Merc Lord requested it, here goes nothing.

The first thing you need to know is that there are 3 (more?) different event names for unit, which can be mixed and matched in no particular order. Those are UNIT, ITEM, and BOSS. Setting the name as UNIT is a requirement. This makes it a unit on the field. ITEM is used if you want the last item in their inventory to be droppable. BOSS is for setting a boss. If you have a chapter where the goal is to defeat a boss but you have TWO bosses, you will likely crash the chapter if you kill one of them. IDK I haven't tested everything yet.

Anyway, this is the first setup you must learn.

Code:
character
1|Actor ID
1|Team
0|AI Priority
0|AI Mission

See the "character" part? That's essential. There are four setups, each is very specific in how they must be set up, or the unit will not load. Period. It won't even be on the map. They are:

character
setup_from_character
setup_generic
setup_from_comment

But let's keep it simple. Let's start with "character"

Actor ID = Look in the database for the actor's number.

Team = 1 is ally, 2 is enemy, 3 is NPC, and etc.

AI Priority = This allows you to choose what enemy units start first. The higher a number, the higher their priority. If you want a unit to always attack first on every turn, give it something like 999 (A boss for example) and every other unit on the field 998 or less. I recommend that if you ever have Dark Magic users with Eclipse to give them the highest number aside from the boss, because this is actually smart AI. Just trust me on that.

AI Mission = This is pointless for ally units, but useful for enemy characters. Just set their AI according to this list:

Code:
0 = Stand Still (Does not attack. Ever)
1 = Attack in range (Will charge forward and attack if you go within their range)
2 = Seek out and attack (any)
3 = Seek out and attack (weakest)
4 = Pillage (Destroy villages. Crashes current editor version. Wait for next release before using this)
5 = Steal (Enemy thieves and rogues only, obviously)
6 = Go to square (throne capture) This is useful for if Bwd allows enemies to capture thrones.
7 = Staff user (Bwd is revising this. It will include every stave capability in the game, including rescue, warp, etc.)
8 = Seek out unit to talk (Useful for cutscenes, but likely not used in this version.)
9 = Avoid (Want that little thief to rob you and then run? Use this.)
10 = Do Nothing (There has to be a difference between this one and #0, but I'm not sure what... yet.)
11 = Defend square (Not sure.)
12 = Ballista (This is not used yet. Wait for next release)
500 = Do not move. Attack only units within range. (Useful for knights guarding a tile, or a long range magic user you don't want to move. Or a boss :P)

Now, if you were making a unit using the "character" type setup, you might need to alter a weapon level or add a weapon to their inventory, and you don't want to fuck around with the scripts. Here's how to do that.

Use the "setup_from_character" comment instead. It adds on the ability to modify weapons and weapon levels in addition to setting an actor on the field. This would be most useful (IMO) if you had a recruitable unit that had different items in it's inventory based on conditions and such. I am not positive, but there may be another setup that allows you to edit stats too. Anyway:

Code:
setup_from_character
101|Actor ID
1|Team
0|AI Priority
0|AI Mission
1, 1, 3|Item 2
0, 0, 0|Item 3
0, 0, 0|Item 4
0, 0, 0|Item 5
0, 200, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0|Weapon Levels
Now, you might notice it starts from item TWO, not item ONE. If you set an item for item one, it overwrites whatever is there by default. It's perfectly fine if you want to do that sort of thing though. If your character has four weapons by default and you just want to add one or something like that and overwrite nothing at all, just remove whatever item slots are not needed as in the above example.

Weapon levels go like this:
Swords, Axes, Lances, Bows, Fire, Thunder, Wind, Light, and Dark.
And the thresholds for the next rank are...
[0,1,31,71,121,181,251]

Next we have setup_from_comment

Code:
setup_from_comment
Rebel|Name
39|Class ID
0|Gender
10|Level
0|Exp
2|Team
23|HP Max
23|HP
4|Pow
8|Skl
8|Spd
0|Lck
4|Def
9|Res
8|Con
0|AI Priority
3|AI Mission
0, 132, 30|Item 1
0, 0, 0|Item 2
0, 0, 0|Item 3
0, 0, 0|Item 4
0, 0, 0|Item 5
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 31, 0, 0|Weapon Levels

I'll skip the setup_from_comment part. That's been explained already.
Class ID can be found in the database under the Class tab. Keep in mind that a vast majority have no animations or even map sprites. Use only those you see on Yeti maps.
Gender is simple. 0 = Male, 1 = Female, 2 = Tranny. (Razz Just kidding dum dum)
Level is purely for cosmetic effect. Default cap is 20, so don't set it above 20, not that it matters as it won't breach 20.
Exp is always 0 for enemies and NPC's. This might need to be changed for a player unit... but I don't see why, unless you're testing growth rates.
Team has been explained earlier. 1 = Ally, 2 = Enemy, 3 = NPC, and so on. (Bwd actually has 4 teams but the fourth is basically an enemy team anyway.)
Stats are all self explanatory. If you can't figure those out then don't play FE.
Everything else has been outlined, but a brief mention on items.

Code:
0, 132, 30|Item 1
0, 0, 0|Item 2
0, 0, 0|Item 3
0, 0, 0|Item 4
0, 0, 0|Item 5
The first number determines whether it's an item or a weapon. 0 = Weapon, 1 = Item. Simple.
The next number is the Weapon/Item ID number. Find it in the database.
The third number is number of uses. I recommend NOT going over the max, though it's doesn't matter, except for cosmetic effect. How many uses a weapon/item has is found in the database.

Lastly is the "setup_generic" unit.

This one is one of my favorites. I love Bwd for implementing this. It is essentially the same as the setup_from_comment unit, except that when you are going to type in stats, you just use the "prepromote level" line and type in any number from 1-9999999999! This autolevels it to that level, and in general is fucking awesome! Not sure what build type is, but I know it has to do with the CON stat.

HOPE YOU LEARNED SOMETHING NEW, YOU FAGS.

http://klokreations.forumotion.com

2 Re: Ultimate FEXP Eventing Tutorial on Thu May 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Charlotte

Chick
HEY how do you define which unit gets boss music played for 'em?

3 Re: Ultimate FEXP Eventing Tutorial on Thu May 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Alright, for battle themes, there are TWO ways. One I added myself that I'll share with all of you.
First way is to make an event and create a script containing the following.
Code:
id = $game_map.events[##].actor.id
$game_map.add_battle_theme(
    id, 'Rise to the Challenge')
Like this.
http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/4783/bossthemestutorial1.png (When linked directly, it shrinks it. Just click the link.)
The $game_map.events[##] refers to the event ID of a unit on the map. In the case of the screenie, it's event 6.
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7972/bossthemestutorial2.png
There, problem solved.
Way two is to edit/create a few lines of script in the database.
As you'll see here, I've added a hash of unit battle themes after the death quotes section. Really, the location doesn't matter, as long as it's in the Unit Info script.
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2153/bossthemestutorial3.png
But, this alone does not make this work. You must set up pointers in the Fire Emblem General script. Like so.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8463/bossthemestutorial4.png
The line highlighted in red is what you need to add.
Code:
    return BATTLE_THEMES[id] if BATTLE_THEMES.keys.include?(id)
Add that line beneath
Code:
    return @battle_themes[id] if @battle_themes.keys.include?(id)
There! Now you've got a working hash and pointers. But to set up the actual hash, you need actor IDs. If you don't know where to find these, they're under the actors tab in the Database.
See here if you need a guide: http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7077/bossthemestutorial5.png
Then go ahead and test it! If it doesn't work, PM me or something with screenies of these corresponding areas and I'll see if you did anything wrong.
Hope I helped~ =3

Last edited by Terra on Thu May 05, 2011 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

4 Re: Ultimate FEXP Eventing Tutorial on Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Look at Yeti's TR1. Tile coordinate 13, 4, is your event. There are good examples there. Simply change the number in the [] to the event number of your choice, and alter the song title to whichever title is in your audio folder.

Hope that helps.

5 Re: Ultimate FEXP Eventing Tutorial on Thu May 05, 2011 10:41 pm

Charlotte

Chick
My jaw dropped for nearly a second. I was wondering why that random knight had boss music, except...

When I moved him, the unit I put there instead...

Um, moved. Wait, are bosses not allowed to move and keep their music?

6 Re: Ultimate FEXP Eventing Tutorial on Thu May 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Klokinator

Admin
The music is played everytime they attack or are attacked. It's actually a really simple event. I don't understand the problem you're having apparently XD

7 Re: Ultimate FEXP Eventing Tutorial on Thu May 05, 2011 10:52 pm

I posted a tut... But move it to its own topic if you want. XD

8 Re: Ultimate FEXP Eventing Tutorial on Thu May 05, 2011 10:58 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Wow great tut, I'll just add it to the above. Also, questions about FEXP should go in seperate topics, and then answers are posted in those topics and the resulting tuts, if any, get added to this tut.

9 Re: Ultimate FEXP Eventing Tutorial on Sat May 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Mercenary Lord

How do you put a custom animation into the game? Thats what I'd like to learn.

http://www.klokreations.net

10 Re: Ultimate FEXP Eventing Tutorial on Sat May 07, 2011 9:23 pm

Klokinator

Admin
PM Terra and learn from her.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum