Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 11]

1 The Road to Ruin on Fri May 06, 2011 4:28 am

Primefusion

Admin
The Road to Ruin

Preface
-------

Pandosia, created by the four goddesses, has seen its fair share of war and peace. Now is not a time for peace. A war has begun between the neighboring countries of Aksum and Sybaris. Sybaris has ambushed Aksum's close ally, the small country of Mora, without warning, massacring many.

A group of mercenaries finds themselves caught in the middle of this war where not everything is as it seems and the events of the past collide with the present...

Screenshots
-----------

Download
--------
The Road to Ruin v2.0
Runs on FE7 engine.

Never dead, always underground.

Last edited by Primefusion on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:07 am; edited 11 times in total

2 Re: The Road to Ruin on Fri May 06, 2011 5:25 am

Klokinator

Admin
I love the new filters hahahaha

You should reread your post XD

http://klokreations.forumotion.com

3 Re: The Road to Ruin on Fri May 06, 2011 2:37 pm

Primefusion

Admin
I realized that when I posted XD I'm leaving it as is for lulz.

4 Re: The Road to Ruin on Thu May 19, 2011 12:55 am

Primefusion

Admin
I've been working on chapter 10 so I thought I'd give you all some teasers:

What's a chapter without thugs to kill? (The thugs aren't there yet because I'm working on cutscenes first)

Yay, character development.

Promotion items are a go.

Stay tuned for more progress.

5 Re: The Road to Ruin on Fri May 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Primefusion

Admin
Weapon Icons are entertaining:

And a zoomed in version:

6 Re: The Road to Ruin on Fri May 20, 2011 7:49 pm

Primefusion

Admin
Added another icon to the list:

I even have names for some of them.

1) Seethe
2) Don't have a name
3) Gust
4) Mourning

And I've got another preview of chapter 10. What a Face

7 Re: The Road to Ruin on Sat May 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Klokinator

Admin
#2 I would use for James' Maelstrom Blade. That is, if I ever find someone to code its specific effects.

8 Re: The Road to Ruin on Sat May 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Primefusion

Admin
Maelstrom has to do with wind, number 2 is on fire. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

9 Re: The Road to Ruin on Sat May 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Maelstrom is actually another word for storm, which could mean a fire storm. Also most of the spells in my game are fire related, and Terra recently made that awesome new Phoenix spell (She calls it flame wave but I'll use it for Jessica in my game) and she's working on more fire-type spells.

So making the Maelstrom Blade a fire blade makes plenty of sense. http://mdkgameidea.blogspot.com/2011/01/another-powerful-weapon-for-james.html

^Relevant blog post.

10 Re: The Road to Ruin on Sun May 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Primefusion

Admin
Mmkay. If you want to use that icon go for it. I just made it for the hell of it.

In other news:

This archer packs a punch O_o

11 Re: The Road to Ruin on Tue May 24, 2011 8:57 pm

Jesse

ohmahgawd.
enemy archer with Iron, Steel, and Silver Longbows. *heart is pierced by silver arrow*
ohshi-*dies*

12 Re: The Road to Ruin on Tue May 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Primefusion

Admin
It's just a showcase picture, silly. The archer in question has a just Steel Longbow in the actual chapter.

13 Re: The Road to Ruin on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Primefusion

Admin
New version out!

v0.2.1 Download

It's the patch download, not the ROM because I don't feel like uploading the ROM.

Last edited by Primefusion on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

14 Re: The Road to Ruin on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Klokinator

Admin
just put the rom in dropbox lol

15 Re: The Road to Ruin on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:12 am

Primefusion

Admin
It's not that I have qualms about linking to ROMs, I'm just lazy. =P Ah hell whatever, v0.2 ROM getting added to dropbox in tee-minus 10.

16 Re: The Road to Ruin on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Primefusion

Admin
Had to fix a small bug in chapter 10. New ROM version in the dropbox. Now when you attack the boss, it will show the animation unless you play with animations turned off.

17 Re: The Road to Ruin on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:31 am

Klokinator

Admin
I made you your own folder in the dropbox. This should save you time, I hope.

Edit: I'm playing it now. I'll report anything I see that needs reporting.

1. In the prologue when Wil and the other guy are talking (It's right in the beginning) I spotted an awkward sentence.
Bandits just seized
control of the northern castle!

Move the word "control" up to the top part like this...
Bandits just seized control
of the northern castle!

2. Good job on upping the prologue difficulty.

3. Batta's roar makes me lol.

Well I got bored with it. I think I understand why I have such a hard time playing this hack. I'm reeeeeally not a guy who enjoys story over gameplay. I prefer gameplay first, then if that's really fun, I usually try paying attention to the story. The thing is just that most hacks in general are so... linear... Take my game for example. The are three routes you can travel to beat the first chapter. North, Northwest, and West. There are many enemies with varied stats, and the stats change everytime you start a new game. On top of that, there are droppable items you can obtain that will help you in your quest to beat the chapter.

You have lots of units to use. You might send Joeda and Rayner up north, or maybe James and Jessica, and then send Vayne to the west while sending your other units up the middle. (Sorta suicidal because lol/Zain) With my latest version, I added equip items, which you can give to whichever units you like, maybe your favorite making them beefier, or your least favorite, making them a bit harder to kill.

All of this is intentional. I want every map that I make to be beatable with lots of ways to win. This is also the reason why I don't have much hope for YUHTITS's game.

I don't want you to take offense, I just hope that you can use what I'm about to tell you and maybe improve your skills as a game maker. Your maps are... boring. Looking at the prologue, there is a single linear path which I must follow that will lead to the same destination no matter how many times I play the map over and over. The enemies will always have the same stats. There is only one item that is droppable, and that is a vulnerary. Story? I can't say how good it is, because I just fall asleep everytime I try to beat the prologue. Previously I made it all the way to chapter 3, but I just can't bear to play past that because it is so boring.

YUHTITS has the same problem with his maps.

A design like this serves few purposes. Basically, it's a copout for the developer to shove artificial difficulty into his game. By forcing the player along a 100% linear path like this one (Admittedly this was an FE6 map so YUHTITS probably just used it as filler) this DOES make story and other certain things easier to force, but it reduces creativity the player will need to win.

Here we had a chance for YUHTITS to possibly give us a much more flexible chapter. Instead, we are forced along the red path, and brutally punished for taking the blue paths earlier than he intended. (Read: Wyverns that are stronger than most of your other units and soldiers with a serious desire to be nerfed) Also, he has warriors that are way too strong and spawn way too fast, forcing the player to camp in the same spot for at least 3 turns waiting until they've killed off the meatshields before continuing on.

After that, he punishes you again by forcing you along a 1-tile path girding the castle.

Oh but you can just unlock the door right? That counts for something in the non-linear department, right?
Wrong.
The cliff protects you from the horde of units on the other side. Opening it is just asking for your ass to be raped. The only way to get past that part without dying... is to place a unit in front and slooooooowwwwwllllyyyyyy kill off the units that charge at you. Oh, but wyverns will fly up alongside you and mercilessly kill of any exposed weak units, but you yourself only have one flying unit, and it's weaker than the wyverns!

Not buttfucked enough?! There's more!

NOW you have to deal with an extremely boring 100% linear path which just continuously hurls enemies at you that are stronger than you, all requiring the same exact strategy to beat; place a tough unit or two up front, tank, kill off those units, contnue on a very short ways, then rinse and repeat.

I'm saying all of this as a warning: It's boring. People loved YUHTITS's demo only because it's new. The constant fake difficulty and taxing waves of enemies are extremely boring though. Vary it up! Throw in a couple extra droppable items! Yeah sure, some would say I have way too many in my demo, but you can always drop the non-essential ones and keep the ones you like. In fact, not being able to keep all the items adds another layer of strategy yet again!

I hope you can take something good from this bro Smile

18 Re: The Road to Ruin on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:02 am

Primefusion

Admin
Hmm, definitely something to think about. Unfortunately redoing the maps would mean recoding at least half the chapter for each chapter. No thanks.

I haven't played YUHTITS's demos because I really don't care so I can't comment on that but just having a bunch of strong enemies does sound boring. I try to make it so that both sides are a little more comparable. I'm actually playing through TRTR again to double check on a bug someone reported but it's kind of boring for me (though this might be from all the hours I've poured into this project).

Thanks for the feedback though.

19 Re: The Road to Ruin on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:47 am

Primefusion

Admin
Shizz happened and data was accidentally overwritten so I'm temporarily reverting back to v0.1.1. The ROM has been added to the dropbox but you'll have to do the extracting yourself =P

20 Re: The Road to Ruin on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Wait, wait, wait... Mariobro3828..? >->

Whatabitch.

21 Re: The Road to Ruin on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Primefusion

Admin
Huh? Mariobro is a cool guy, what's your beef with him?

22 Re: The Road to Ruin on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Klokinator

Admin
He's the only guy making a hack that I desperately want to play at least lol. No offense prime

23 Re: The Road to Ruin on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Primefusion

Admin
D'oh.

Ya, DotF is pretty bamf. The revamp is going to be awesome. Why do you like it so much? Many of his maps are linear

24 Re: The Road to Ruin on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Because I enjoyed FE7's storyline, and yeah he's linear, but he has fun gameplay, and his storytelling skills are excellent.

After all, it's basically instantly after FE7 is over, so I might as well be playing an official sequel for all my mind tells me. And how about the chapter where you fight against Lowen and it's this RAAAH survival rush chapter? That one was insanely fun.

In addition, Leif is fucking LULZ. I hope Mariobro recreates his game with THAT AWESOME GAME ENGINE THINGY, because he'd be able to add in a couple really fun and awesome gameplay mechanics he mentioned via PM once. I'm not even going to tell you what they were, but they were inventive and uniquye.

25 Re: The Road to Ruin on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:57 am

Primefusion

Admin
Just thought I'd point out that HHS does the writing, not Mariobro.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 11]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum