Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Animation Importing, Setup, etc. Tutorial

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Animation Importing, Setup, etc. Tutorial on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:17 pm

So, let's see. Say you have an animation you really want to import to FEXP, but have absolutely no idea on how to do so. Well it's actually a lot more simple than you'd believe if you think it through. First, find the image you want to import. (Another thing to keep in mind is that there are no limits in FEXP. No color limits, no size limits... (Except on animation sheets and tilesets and the like, but that's only horizontal size.) Heck, if you had the sprites and the like, you could make a FE with sprites from some COMPLETELY unrelated game.

Anyway, after you have that image, use this animation base to copy and paste each frame, with the center bottom of the sprite as on or around the pixel of the opposite color, FACING RIGHT. Like so. It'll show up backwards if you paste them wrong. (I'm using paint.NET, but if you want to do it with paint, go ahead. I just find PDN enormously helpful with the right plugins, and with layers for transparency, since you MUST have a transparent background when you're done with the sheet.) If you run out of space, just expand the sheet's height by a multiple of 192. DO NOT CHANGE THE WIDTH. This will cause it to bug up in RMXP and your animation will show up wrong.

Wondering where dodge frames go? You make a new sheet, and this one can have as many horizontal and verical squares as you need, for the Battlers folder. The pixels in the corner, see them? They're for recoloring purposes, and almost always go darkest-to-lightest. You can use the base I gave you for this too, just remember to crop away squares you don't need. And ALWAYS remember to delete the blue and red before you import it into game. You need transparency.

Okay, so you got that done? (Going to use another animation, one I already put ingame, just for display purposes.) Well it's nowhere near over. If you want to give up by this point you're not cut out for this, because it involves a lot of tedious editing and a TON of copy-pasting. Otherwise, open up FEXP. Press F9 or hit the database button at the top. (the one that resembles a window icon...) And chose the Classes tab. (If not making/importing a new class, skip this part.) This is pretty simple. Type the class name in any empty location, then | (That's usually above your enter key, see it? If not check by your shift key, some keyboards and laptops move stuff around.) This number here is the tier. Tier 0s have a their own cap. You can use this however you like. In fact, if you wanted, you could make classes that have a level 40 cap just by setting them to tier 0 and changing the setting in System Config. It's on line 14. Yeah, it's that simple. Some careful analyzing and digging will help you find parameters, general data, formatting, the like, that isn't there in plain sight. For example, adding a single line in Fire Emblem General and a hash in Unit Info lets you assign battle themes for ACTORS, which stay with them unless they are assigned another by an event. (See that here and here.)

But back to Database Classes for a second. See that little number beside your class name? Ie: 115. That's your Class ID, and you're going to need it, a lot. (You'll need this even if you're importing a new weapon for a unit, because you need to let the game know which ID to assign its animations to.) Now, you have to go to the Animation tab in the Database. Select a space with adequate room for your animations. You'll need at LEAST fours spaces. Normal attack, Hit, (the last frame in Hit is the wait for HP frame) Return, and Critical. If you find yourself at a point where you need to split the animation, for example, if you needed the critical inserted at a specific frame, not the beginning, you could save yourself some time and split the animation into two parts. (This animation had no critical, but regardless, you'd follow the setup here.) The -Classname- isn't needed, but it's helpful in finding stuff. Another CRITICAL aspect of this. DO NOT ANIMATE FRAME BY FRAME. FEXP has a generic THREE frame wait before you change sprites, but this can be longer. I personally find a five frame wait to be easier to manage and the slowdown is hardly noticable, if at all. When you're done, remember the location your animations are at! That number, beside their name, just like the Classes. It's their ID.

Once you're done with that, head to the scripts database. Go to Max Weapon levels, find or create an empty spot before the end of the hash, type the Class ID of your new class (or just edit the one you're altering) and follow the template. The numbers are 0 through 6, with 0 being nil, or nothing, (The class can't use this weapon) to 6, which is S-Rank. The weapons go: Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Fire, Lightning, Wind, Light, Dark, Staves. Type in the values you want and hit apply (Do this after every script edit if you're paranoid of crashes and mistakes like me, and ALWAYS keep a backup of your scripts.), so you don't lose you changes should you accidentally press cancel.

Now go to the Class Data script. Again, in the STAT_CAPS field, type out the template, starting with your Class ID. The stats go: HP, Pow, (Str/Mag) Skill, Speed, Luck, Def, Res, Con. When you're done, unless you have a promotion ready, (I haven't looked into those much) scroll down to the bottom until you see MOVE_VALUES. This already has instructions, so just put your info here according to them.

Not done yet.

Go into Battler Image Setup. There are instructions here, so just fill out the space you need like shown at the top.

Now, this is the final step, and it can often be the most complicated if you don't know what you're doing. Go to Animation Values.
Do NOT be alarmed by all the blue text. It's mostly just ifs, else's, and ends.
I can't go into everything here right now, but I'll get around to it sometime. Basically, what you want to do is put a "when -Class ID- if crit -animation ID- else -animation ID- end". That's the simplest, but it can be harder. I'd recommend starting off with a pure tome user, since they don't need "if hit", or "if weapon.weapon_type = []", or any of the like. You can investigate these on your own time, but I'm not getting into it right now.

Test your game from playtest, and BE SURE TO SAVE. If you get a syntax error, you typed something wrong. Check your use of ends, and make sure everything is inside the right hash. Also, COMMAS. They are a MAJOR pain. Be sure to add them after EVERYTHING that has another coming in the hash. If you don't, you'll get a syntax error. If you get any other errors, ask Klokinator and he'll relay your message to me, I'll try to help if I can. Ty for reading this huge text wall! XD

2 Re: Animation Importing, Setup, etc. Tutorial on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Klokinator

Admin
*Spot reserved for editing and fixing the tutorial, no touching this post please thanks*

Terra wrote:So, let's see. Say you have an animation you really want to import to FEXP, but have absolutely no idea on how to do so. Well it's actually a lot more simple than you'd believe if you think it through. First, find the image you want to import. (Another thing to keep in mind is that there are no limits in FEXP. No color limits, no size limits... (Except on animation sheets and tilesets and the like, but that's only horizontal size.) Heck, if you had the sprites and the like, you could make a FE with sprites from some COMPLETELY unrelated game.

Anyway, after you have that image, use this animation base to copy and paste each frame, with the center bottom of the sprite as on or around the pixel of the opposite color, FACING RIGHT. Like so. It'll show up backwards if you paste them wrong. (I'm using paint.NET, but if you want to do it with paint, go ahead. I just find PDN enormously helpful with the right plugins, and with layers for transparency, since you MUST have a transparent background when you're done with the sheet.) If you run out of space, just expand the sheet's height by a multiple of 192. DO NOT CHANGE THE WIDTH. This will cause it to bug up in RMXP and your animation will show up wrong.

Wondering where dodge frames go? You make a new sheet, and this one can have as many horizontal and verical squares as you need, for the Battlers folder. The pixels in the corner, see them? They're for recoloring purposes, and almost always go darkest-to-lightest. You can use the base I gave you for this too, just remember to crop away squares you don't need. And ALWAYS remember to delete the blue and red before you import it into game. You need transparency.

Okay, so you got that done? (Going to use another animation, one I already put ingame, just for display purposes.) Well it's nowhere near over. If you want to give up by this point you're not cut out for this, because it involves a lot of tedious editing and a TON of copy-pasting. Otherwise, open up FEXP. Press F9 or hit the database button at the top. (the one that resembles a window icon...) And chose the Classes tab. (If not making/importing a new class, skip this part.) This is pretty simple. Type the class name in any empty location, then | (That's usually above your enter key, see it? If not check by your shift key, some keyboards and laptops move stuff around.) This number here is the tier. Tier 0s have a their own cap. You can use this however you like. In fact, if you wanted, you could make classes that have a level 40 cap just by setting them to tier 0 and changing the setting in System Config. It's on line 14. Yeah, it's that simple. Some careful analyzing and digging will help you find parameters, general data, formatting, the like, that isn't there in plain sight. For example, adding a single line in Fire Emblem General and a hash in Unit Info lets you assign battle themes for ACTORS, which stay with them unless they are assigned another by an event. (See that here and here.)

But back to Database Classes for a second. See that little number beside your class name? Ie: 115. That's your Class ID, and you're going to need it, a lot. (You'll need this even if you're importing a new weapon for a unit, because you need to let the game know which ID to assign its animations to.) Now, you have to go to the Animation tab in the Database. Select a space with adequate room for your animations. You'll need at LEAST fours spaces. Normal attack, Hit, (the last frame in Hit is the wait for HP frame) Return, and Critical. If you find yourself at a point where you need to split the animation, for example, if you needed the critical inserted at a specific frame, not the beginning, you could save yourself some time and split the animation into two parts. (This animation had no critical, but regardless, you'd follow the setup here.) The -Classname- isn't needed, but it's helpful in finding stuff. Another CRITICAL aspect of this. DO NOT ANIMATE FRAME BY FRAME. FEXP has a generic THREE frame wait before you change sprites, but this can be longer. I personally find a five frame wait to be easier to manage and the slowdown is hardly noticable, if at all. When you're done, remember the location your animations are at! That number, beside their name, just like the Classes. It's their ID.

Once you're done with that, head to the scripts database. Go to Max Weapon levels, find or create an empty spot before the end of the hash, type the Class ID of your new class (or just edit the one you're altering) and follow the template. The numbers are 0 through 6, with 0 being nil, or nothing, (The class can't use this weapon) to 6, which is S-Rank. The weapons go: Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Fire, Lightning, Wind, Light, Dark, Staves. Type in the values you want and hit apply (Do this after every script edit if you're paranoid of crashes and mistakes like me, and ALWAYS keep a backup of your scripts.), so you don't lose you changes should you accidentally press cancel.

Now go to the Class Data script. Again, in the STAT_CAPS field, type out the template, starting with your Class ID. The stats go: HP, Pow, (Str/Mag) Skill, Speed, Luck, Def, Res, Con. When you're done, unless you have a promotion ready, (I haven't looked into those much) scroll down to the bottom until you see MOVE_VALUES. This already has instructions, so just put your info here according to them.

Not done yet.

Go into Battler Image Setup. There are instructions here, so just fill out the space you need like shown at the top.

Now, this is the final step, and it can often be the most complicated if you don't know what you're doing. Go to Animation Values.
Do NOT be alarmed by all the blue text. It's mostly just ifs, else's, and ends.
I can't go into everything here right now, but I'll get around to it sometime. Basically, what you want to do is put a "when -Class ID- if crit -animation ID- else -animation ID- end". That's the simplest, but it can be harder. I'd recommend starting off with a pure tome user, since they don't need "if hit", or "if weapon.weapon_type = []", or any of the like. You can investigate these on your own time, but I'm not getting into it right now.

Test your game from playtest, and BE SURE TO SAVE. If you get a syntax error, you typed something wrong. Check your use of ends, and make sure everything is inside the right hash. Also, COMMAS. They are a MAJOR pain. Be sure to add them after EVERYTHING that has another coming in the hash. If you don't, you'll get a syntax error. If you get any other errors, ask Klokinator and he'll relay your message to me, I'll try to help if I can. Ty for reading this huge text wall! XD

http://klokreations.forumotion.com

3 Re: Animation Importing, Setup, etc. Tutorial on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:42 am

Mercenary Lord

Actually, you dont center each sprite. You put it in a sequence.

http://www.klokreations.net

4 Re: Animation Importing, Setup, etc. Tutorial on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:23 am

..where the hell did I say you center the sprites? ._.

5 Re: Animation Importing, Setup, etc. Tutorial on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:05 am

Mercenary Lord

Anyway, after you have that image, use this animation base to copy and paste each frame, with the center bottom of the sprite as on or around the pixel of the opposite color, FACING RIGHT. Like so. It'll show up backwards if you paste them wrong. (I'm using paint.NET, but if you want to do it with paint, go ahead. I just find PDN enormously helpful with the right plugins, and with layers for transparency, since you MUST have a

You dont put the middle of the bottom on the dot...the dot is just the center of each square.

http://www.klokreations.net

6 Re: Animation Importing, Setup, etc. Tutorial on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:56 am

Jesse

I'm sure this'll be useful, but I'm not in the mood to read huge walls of text at the moment.

7 Re: Animation Importing, Setup, etc. Tutorial on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:31 am

Charlotte

Chick
The dot is for alignment. You can put it wherever you want relative to the dot as long as you're consistent. It's just easiest to put the middle of a unit's shadow there.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum