Klokreations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Xiao Emblem

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

151 Re: Xiao Emblem on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Charlotte

Chick
So guys, I know I haven't technically worked on XE in a few days (too much fun with VXAce yaaay), but I've been thinking. Since this is XIAO Emblem, the "Chinese Fire Emblem Knockoff" as it's called by absolutely no one, what if I gave the entire game a more Asian theme? Ditching stone castles and towers in favor of red-and-gold palaces and pagodas, replacing ballistae with arrow cannons, and giving characters, places, and skills Chinese names?

I feel like that kind of change could give the game much more unique personality, but in renaming a lot of the things, I could lose some of the meaning I was hoping to have intrinsic to the names (Goodcastle and Badlands, for example, wouldn't mean the same thing to English-speaking players if translated. Likewise with the character Swift).

What do y'all think?

152 Re: Xiao Emblem on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Jesse

First thing, never use "y'all" again. XD

In all seriousness, I think that it could have both advantages and disadvantages. Maybe you wouldn't have to translate too much of what there is, but replacing the castles with the palaces and stuff souds like a good idea.

153 Re: Xiao Emblem on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:52 am

Mew

Chick
I like this idea. As for the language issue, why not make it out to be like a bad English dub? Then you could use some of the funnier names like that with even more intention.

http://www.margosikes.com

154 Re: Xiao Emblem on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Charlotte

Chick
Aww, what's wrong with contracting "you all"? D:

And, um, I don't watch dubs, so I don't know what you're talking about?

(And just since I left this out of my previous post, think Avatar: The Last Airbender in terms of the world. I think. I've only just seen one episode in the past 5 years)

155 Re: Xiao Emblem on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Mew

Chick
"Somebody set us up the bomb. All your base are belong to us."

Kind of like that, as I realize now saying 'dub' doesn't actually apply to games, I mean moreso a poor grasp/use of the English language and generally poor interpretations of story mechanics and names.

http://www.margosikes.com

156 Re: Xiao Emblem on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:50 pm

Klokinator

Admin
Hahaha I like that idea actually, I think it would give the game a more humorous edge to it also, which makes the cartoony characters fit in with their world.

However, if it sounds too poor, people might just think you're a terrible developer with no grasp of the english language. Beware of that pitfall.

http://klokreations.forumotion.com

157 Re: Xiao Emblem on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:52 pm

L95

Oh, man. Engrish would be great.

158 Re: Xiao Emblem on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Charlotte

Chick
Hrmm, so many people are advocating the Engrish idea, but I'm not the biggest fan of doing everything like that. Maybe at most I'd have certain characters who tark bad. I'm trying to give each character (even NPCs) a different accent/way of talking (gangster, surfer, Italian, Russian), so a few Engrish-speakers would definitely work, though.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum